A suvivor of the Stoneman Douglas shooting is making a new life at Sickles High School - thanks to a team of people determined to help her heal and succeedRead More
Mental Health Matters
What is mental health?
Mental health is a state of emotional and psychological well-being in which a person:
- Is able to use his or her intelligence and emotional capabilities
- Functions at school, at home, and in the community
- Meets the ordinary demands of everyday life
What are the District's mental health objectives?
- Mental Health Awareness
- Climate & Culture of School Buildings
- Adherence of protocols for threat assessments
- Development of policies that enhance the whole child
- Mental Health Stigma
- Violent, Aggressive & Disruptive Behavior
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Student Services team at your child’s school. They are there to support you and your child with any mental health questions or concerns.
Resources provided to us by the Florida Department of Education that you can use when you talk to your child about warning signs to look out for in their peers, and help them feel comfortable talking about their thoughts and feelings.
The health and well-being of our students is a top priority.
Hillsborough County School Board Members continue their discussions with state lawmakers regarding security and mental health funding.Read More
Director, Student Services
Holly Saia, Ed.S.
Supervisor, Clinical Care
Supervisor, Emotional Wellness
- American School Counselor Association
- Community Resources
- Crisis Center of Tampa Bay
- Inside Health Minds: Child Mental Health Awareness
- National Association of School Psychologists
- Employee Benefits
- National Association of Social Workers
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
As you know the mental health and well-being of our students is our top priority. Please see the short clip from Dr. Poland, Licensed Psychologist, Nationally Certified School Psychologist, Professor at the College of Psychology and Co-Director of the Suicide and Violence Prevention Office for suggestions on ideas for communicating with your children. - View video