At the 2019 International Science and Engineering Fair, we are proud that one of our students, Rajat Doshi, was a world-wide top 3 finisher.
We are celebrating #STEMtober at our Award-Winning Hillsborough County Public Schools during October.
Hillsborough County is preparing students for life through an exciting STEM education. This can lead to both a rewarding career and a positive impact on the community.
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) – is one of the most critical areas for education in the country.
We emphasize STEM education all year, but put a spotlight on it in October.
Schools across the district host STEM-related events. Keep up with them on Twitter with #STEMtober
Hillsborough Schools is proud to present the annual STEM Fair, where elementary and secondary school students present their projects to be submitted for judging.
The Science Fair Olympics happens annually across our elementary schools. Students will showcase their engineering, creativity and problem-solving skills as they compete in Skyscrapers, Aqua Foils, Paper Airplanes, Balloon Racers, Marshmallow Flyers and Marble Coasters.
- October 19 - Science Olympics Semi Finals #1: Areas 1,2,3, AS Networks 2,4 – 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. at MOSI
- October 26 - Science Olympics Semi Finals #2: Areas 3, 5 AS Networks 1,4,5 – 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. at MOSI
Our STEM education programs are gaining national attention.
Hillsborough Schools, along with area investors, are leading the way in teaching coding. One of the courses is Advanced Placement Computer Science Principles, where kids earn college credit for taking our high school courses.
Larry Plank, the Director of K-12 STEM Education for Hillsborough Schools, will begin a three-year term as president of the National Science Education Leadership Association in 2020. The NSELA is dedicated to helping K-12 teachers around the nation become the most effective educators and leaders in STEM-related fields through the most rigorous courses.
We are the only school district in Florida to be a member of 100Kin10, a nationwide program dedicated to producing, in the words of its mission statement, “100,000 excellent STEM teachers by 2021.”
See our STEM Schools
Get involved across the district at some upcoming events:
- October 1 - STEMtastic Schools Showcase – 5:30-7:30 p.m. at The Florida Aquarium – registration required
- October 4 - EDUpreneur Day – 7:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. at Just Elementary School and Stewart Middle School
- October 9 - Educate Hillsborough Teaching and Learning Showcase – 7:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. at Crestwood Elementary School and Leto High School
- October 18 - St. Petersburg Science Festival Student K-12 Day – 8 a.m - 3 p.m. at Vinoy Park/USF St. Petersburgh
- October 19 - Hillsborough County Fair Trebuchet Competition for High Schools – 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. at the Hillsborough County Fairgrounds
Find your school on our website, and discover what’s happening for #STEMtober.