Help shape our future
Hillsborough County Public Schools is a growing, thriving district serving more than 215,000 students from diverse backgrounds, living in neighborhoods that span more than 1,000 square miles.
Our more than 24,000 employees are shaping the future of our community by delivering on our vision of Preparing Students for Life. As the 8th largest school district in the nation, our 235 traditional schools provide a variety of options for our families to choose from – providing the right educational fit for every child.
This past year, our district set another all-time graduation rate record of 85.8%. Our students earned more than 7,000 industry certifications, setting our students up for college and a successful career.
Our district is a state and national leader, with a number of recent honors and accomplishments, including:
- Hillsborough County Public Schools is proud to have the Florida Teacher of the Year, Dr. Dre Graham, as an educator in our district. This is the second time in five years the state Teacher of the Year was chosen from our district.
- One of our magnet schools, MacFarlane Park Elementary Magnet, was ranked as the #1 elementary magnet school in America.
- Hillsborough County Public Schools was named one of the nation’s Best Employers for New Grads by Forbes magazine, the only K-12 school district on the list.
- Hillsborough’s School Board was awarded the 2019 CUBE Annual Award for Urban School Board Excellence and the 2018 RISE Award for their commitment to ensuring an equitable education for all children.
- In November, voters approved a ten-year half-penny sales tax to support school maintenance and construction, sending a clear, bold signal that our community supports our public schools.
In June 2020, Superintendent Jeff Eakins will retire after 31 years in our district. Our School Board has hired Ray and Associates, a national leader in superintendent search processes, to assist us in finding the best candidate to serve our community and deliver outstanding results for our children.
As we embark on this exciting superintendent search, we are asking for your input. We want to know what leadership qualities, expertise and experiences matter most to you in a superintendent. The best way to provide your input is to complete a community survey or attend one of the four community forums held by Ray and Associates.
Our district is innovative and pushing toward the future, ensuring every child has the opportunities to be successful.
Community Forum Dates
Bloomingdale High School
Valrico, FL 33596
Jefferson High School
Tampa, FL 33607
Gaither High School
Tampa, FL 33618
Middleton High School
Tampa, FL 33610