How to apply for your next teaching job in Tampa
Interested in teaching in Tampa? We have helpful resources to guide you on your path to get started in Hillsborough Schools.
But there is one critical step to get your career of teaching in Tampa truly underway: Filling out an application!
Something critical for aspiring teachers to know is that Hillsborough Schools is still hiring teachers for the 2020-21 academic year, even with schools currently closed because of the coronavirus.
To help you with the application process, Hillsborough Schools has a section on our website, TeachinTampa.com.
Right away, you’ll see four buttons on the right side: Statement of Interest, Apply Now, Get Newsletter and Resources.
The main page at TeachinTampa.com will also tell you all about our award-winning schools and teachers in the nation’s seventh-largest school district, opportunities for career advancement and mentoring, the teacher incentives and more.
When you click the Apply Now button, you will be directed to Applitrack. This is where you will search for available positions and apply. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Q&A from Recruitment Manager
Dr. Althea Walker, the Department Manager for Recruitment with Hillsborough Schools, has provided a handy guide for a few of the most common questions prospective applicants ask.
Q: How do I know the status of my application?
A: You will receive an email from the sender "mailbot" instead of with the name “Hillsborough County Public Schools”. Read and follow the directions provided in the email to assist with making the application "Active".
Q: If I submit an application, does that mean it is "Active" and that I can interview for positions?
A: No. When you submit an application for employment, you are indicating your desire to teach in our district. Now the application has to be reviewed and approved by Human Resources. Once the application has been approved, you will receive email notification that your application is "Active" and that you may interview for positions.
Q: What do I do now that I received an email saying my application is "Active"?
A: Continue to log into your application and apply for positions that interest you. Additionally, view the job postings for positions and follow the directions (i.e. email your resume to an administrator) provided on the posting.
Resources with more information on applying
- If you seek a job teaching in Tampa, it is critical that your online application becomes “Active” by our Recruiting department so that you can be considered for positions
- The “Statement of Interest” is a quick survey to measure your interest in applying for a teaching job in Tampa, allows for immediate review, and helps us stay in touch with you
- View the list of Top Teaching Jobs listed on the right-side at TeachinTampa.com
- The “Resources” button on the com home screen takes you to many useful links. If you have any further questions regarding the process, there is an FAQ link where you will see topics such as ESE (Exceptional Student Education), Out-of-field, Experience Credit and advanced degrees being discussed.
- You will also see a section on Becoming a Teacher, for those who have taken alternative pathways or are changing careers to become a teacher in Tampa will find answers.
- Visit this maps page to find locations of more than 200 Hillsborough Schools. Click on “Get Maps” in the Schools Maps block. This features the 2019-2020 locator map of all schools, or you can search by school level.
Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter, which will provide candidates to teach in Tampa with upcoming virtual events, great tips, teaching profiles and highlights of the teaching in Tampa lifestyle and more. Click on “Get Newsletter” to sign up.
Hillsborough Schools keeps improving in performance, setting yet another record in the most recent academic year with an 86.2% graduation rate. And we seek teachers who can make a great school district even better.
Our website has information about our award-winning schools with details about current opportunities, where and how to apply and many more details to help you prepare for a teaching career in Tampa.
Check out our other Teaching Job Search Tips, including: Virtual Interview Tips, Resume Writing Tips, Teaching Job Fit, and more on our website’s Teaching Job Tips archive.
Do your preparation, polish up your resume, get interview-ready and apply soon to be one of our next award-winning teachers in Hillsborough Schools in Fall 2020.
Best of luck to all candidates!
Recent Teaching Job Stories
- Prepare for Interview Questions in 4 Steps
- What To Do After Your Teaching Job Interview - Tip #7
- Looking for a Teaching Job? 10 Social Media Do’s and Don’ts
- Teaching Job Interviews in Tampa Don’t Stop for Coronavirus - Tip#5
- Tampa Lifestyle for Teachers - Tip #4
- Finding the Best Fit for Your New Teaching Job - Tip #3
Other Related Articles
- Hillsborough Schools Hosts Virtual Hiring Events
- Hillsborough Schools Selected as one of the Best Employers for Diversity in America
- Hillsborough Schools Proposal Creates Spark to Attract Teachers to our Highest Needs Schools
- Press Conference to Propose Bold Teacher Recruitment Effort
- Teach in Tampa